Saturday, July 31, 2010

Missed by that much

Not a great day for me. I was getting around the task sort of OK but just couldn't get the climb I needed to get onto final glide. In the end it just never eventuated and I was heading into the control point a couple of hundred feet shy of making it back to the airfield.

But there is another way. After Lars' accident they changed the finish procedure from a line on the airfield boundary to a 3km finish ring, much like we have in Australia. I figured I could do a Sebastian Kawa, get into the circle and then land.

But then it rained. Glider performance went down the gurgler and I had to make a quick decision about whether I could clear the fence into the next paddock. No was the answer. Flopped down into a corn field (not ideal) and finished 90 metres short of the circle. Bugger!

To add insult to injury (actually the other way round) I then ripped a back muscle carrying the glider wings out to the road . From previous experience I am now going to be in pain for a week.

Oh and before the start three separate gliders did their level best to clean me up in thermals.

Not 100% happy just at the moment.

Graham

9 comments:

  1. Double bugger. Look after yourself.
    Kate
    ooo & xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sexy.
    What a day! What a shame! Hang in there.... :)
    Hope your back feels better after some rest and medication. Take it easy.
    Love always, Danielle, Lauren & Scarlett xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a perfect day to me!! I can feel the pain from here... did you also break your toe when you kicked the glider?
    Stay safe above all else, well done.
    Cheers, Bruce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Team Ozz, definitly not Groundhog Day, nail biting stuff. Take care all the best.Roly & Jeanette.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Graham!! AW!! hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Graham,I hope you pain departs quickly and you have a better flight tomorrow.

    Thanks for taking the time to blog it is appreciated by all at ASC

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's true... each day it's fantastic to hear a little of what is happening there. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hang in there Graham.
    I don't suppose you were within 50m of the circle at any time before you landed?
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. No. If I was using my EW logger I would have jumped out of the glider with it and ran across the finish line!

    ReplyDelete